Thursday, September 26, 2013

Moreno moves on top in Bahamas LPGA Classic


Moreno moves on top in Bahamas LPGA Classic










The Sports Xchange May 25, 2013 10:10 PMThe SportsXchange



The Pure Silk-Bahamas LPGA Classic has hardly gone as smooth as silk this weekend after flooding shortened the first two rounds at the Ocean Club Golf Course in Nassau, Bahamas, to 24 holes, but Paola Moreno has handled the elements as well as anyone.

Moreno shot a 4-under-par 41 on the abbreviated 12-hole, par-45 layout Saturday in the second round of the inaugural event to take a one-shot lead over Lindsey Wright.

The Colombian is at 9-under 81 heading into the final round on Sunday with a chance to claim her first LPGA Tour victory. Her best career finish is a tie for 23rd at the LPGA Lotte Championship earlier this year.

Eun-Hee Ji and Julieta Granada were tied for third at 7 under. Cristie Kerr, Hee Kyung Seo, Mina Harigae, Ilhee Lee, Hee Young Park, Anna Nordqvist and first-round co-leader Heather Bowie Young were next at 6 under.

Moreno carded four birdies in the second round and is bogey free after 24 holes.

"It's been exciting and I just focus on what I can control and the holes ahead of me," Moreno said, "I'm very excited for tomorrow.

"Nerves are good. Yeah, of course. I mean I prepare myself for these kind of situations, to play the last day and hopefully win tournaments."

Wright had the best round of the day with a 7-under 38 that featured seven birdies. The Australian also is seeking her first LPGA title. Her best finish on the tour is second in the 2009 LPGA Championship.

"I just played faultless golf, really," Wright said. "I didn't make any mistakes. I made a ton of putts."

Kerr shot a 5-under 40 in the second round, giving her a shot at a second win this month. In her last event, she won Kingsmill Championship.

"I hit it really good, gave myself a lot of chances," Kerr said. "It played a little more difficult today even, I think, because of the wind."

The tournament will finish with 12 holes again Sunday, but the course will be modified, substituting the 18th hole for the fourth hole and making it a par 47. Completion of 36 holes would make it an official event.

LPGA officials shortened the tournament to 12 holes on Friday, Saturday and Sunday after the course was flooded Tuesday with more than a foot of rain. A number of holes are unplayable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dental Blog List