Sunday, September 8, 2013

Inside the Ropes: Weir hopes to cap comeback with Canadian title


Inside the Ropes: Weir hopes to cap comeback with Canadian title

Like
Dislike






Tom LaMarre, The Sports Xchange July 22, 2013 12:31 AMThe SportsXchange


Mike Weir is recognized the greatest golfer Canada has produced, with 16 victories as a professional including the 2003 Masters, the only major title ever won by a golfer from north of the border.



After years of injuries, Weir is showing signs that his game might be returning, and he hopes to show off a little for the home fans. The 43-year-old veteran has been bothered by yet another injury this year, to his ribs, but he managed a promising tie for 28th in the U.S. Open at Merion.



"I've relayed this story before. There was a junior clinic with Andy Bean and Tom Kite at Glen Abbey, and being on the range and ... seeing those guys up close, in person, got me really inspired to start thinking it's something I'd love to do some day. So I look forward to this event every year."



Ironically, that's when Weir's injury problems began, as he was grabbed affectionately by one of his adoring fans while walking through the crowd on the way from one green to the next tee.



Weir lost his PGA Tour card, missing the cut an incredible 35 times the last three seasons, and even went so far as to play two events on the European Tour last season in an effort to turn things around.




"I think there were times that, yeah, you wonder, when you're injured and you get a little older, you kind of wonder," he said. "But I was very determined to get back. I still love the game. I still love the practice. I enjoy the competition.



Bothered by the rib injury, Weir nearly had to withdraw from the Masters in April on the 10th anniversary of becoming the first left-hander to capture a major since Bob Charles of New Zealand won the 1963 Open Championship.



However, things began to go his way when he opened with 68-68 at the Travelers Championship, although he had a disappointing weekend of 73-70 to tie for 33rd.



Three days before the tournament, the United States Golf Association announced that he was in.



"My ball-striking is getting much better," said Weir, who posted four scores in the 60s and tied for 27th in the John Deere Classic two weeks ago. "I have strength in my arm again. I am feeling good. I'm feeling much better.



"I just have to put it all together."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dental Blog List